- 7th Grade Band is run slightly differently than 6th Grade Band. We do not have weekly lessons scheduled the same as in 6th grade. Instead, students will be placed in groups that will meet for 20 minutes during the regular class period. Mr. Vanderbloemen will continue to teach the band rehearsal; Mr. Hartson and Mr. Petersen will teach the small group lessons. Each student will have approximately one lesson every ten school days.
- Jazz Ensemble is a fun and different type of performance ensemble offered in 7th and 8th grade. The music is a different style than what is usually performed in Concert Band. All 7th and 8th grade band students – regardless of the instrument you play – are invited to participate. 7th and 8th Grade Jazz Ensemble meets Mondays after school from 3:10 – 3:55 PM. The first rehearsal will be on Friday, October 20.
- Performance Assessments – Periodically, we will have Performance Assessments. These will be done slightly differently than in 6th grade, but are the best way for us to keep track of how you are doing on a more individual basis.
- Your first quarter grade will be based on your observed performance, preparation, and achievement, and Performance Assessments.
- Solo/Ensemble – Solo/Ensemble is an experience new to 7th grade band students. A significant part of becoming a musician is to perform alone, and this will be your first ‘formal’ opportunity. All 7th grade band students will select a solo to perform from a packet we will provide. We will help you prepare the music for a performance on November 15th here in IMMS. You will be performing for a clinician who will give you both written and verbal comments about the performance. The main idea will be for the clinicians to give you positive support and also suggestions about how to make improvements for the future.